If you are not from the US, you might not know what a homecoming party is. The name does imply it has something to do with home, which is true for the educational establishment. The homecoming offers a chance for old students to return for a gathering and for the US teenagers, this is a fantastic opportunity to catch up with old friends. This trend is also popular in the UK and some parts of Europe.
If your homecoming is this summer, here are a few tips on choosing a dress that enhances your appearance.
- Identify Your Body Shape – This is the first step to choosing the right homecoming dress. Types include slender, petite, pear shape, apple, hourglass and plus size. There are lots of free resources online to help you choose the right dress style for your body shape. Once you know your body shape, it narrows down your dress style options.
- Online Designer Dress Boutique – This is where you will find stunning creations of long and short dresses for homecoming, with many great designers represented, plus their creations are affordable. If your homecoming is in the summer, now is the perfect time to start browsing the designer dress websites; the great thing about online shopping is you can shop at your own pace, send your best friend links to dresses that you like, in order to get a second opinion.
- Accurate Measurements – If you are not comfortable measuring yourself, ask mom, or better still contact a local seamstress; a bad measurement is likely going to lead to ordering the wrong size and you might not have the time to return the garment and receive a different size. If you are in between dress sizes, always go for the larger size, as a garment is easier to take in than it is to let it out.
Dress Styles And Body Shapes
Here are a few recommendations:
- Slender/Athletic Build – You are fortunate in as much as you can wear any style dress. A long mermaid style dress would work, as would dresses with ruffles, to add volume at the bust and hips.
- Pear Shape – You need to focus on adding volume to your upper body, off-the-shoulder and single strap dresses are ideal, while the traditional ballgown accentuates the shoulders.
- Hourglass Figure – If you are blessed with an hourglass figure, whatever you wear will look good. A short number will show off your sexy pins and if you take a look at the stunning designer dresses at the online boutique, you are sure to find a gown that ticks all the boxes.
- Busty Figure – The girl with an ample chest should choose a dress that accentuates the hips, to give your look more balance.
- Petite – The best things come in small packages and with a floor length gown and some stacked platforms or high-heels, you can add a few inches of height, should you feel inclined.
While we can take something from others, you should rely on your inner feelings regarding what to wear for your homecoming. If you feel good, you look good and will enjoy the experience.